How to Maintain and Clean a Split System Air Conditioner
If you've got a split system air conditioner at home, you know how these beauties keep our rooms at just the right temperature. Whether you're beating the sweltering summer heat or looking for a cosy setting in winter, split systems are hard workers, no doubt there.
But like everything else in our homes, split system air conditioners, wherever shop they come from, need TLC. A bit of maintenance and cleaning will have them running in top condition, ready to tackle whatever the weather throws at us.
What’s a Split System Air Conditioner?
As you browse for home appliances in your favourite store, you might have heard the term “split system aircon” tossed around. Simply put, a split-system aircon is an air-conditioning system that splits the hot from the cool parts of the system.
The split system consists of an indoor unit that blows cool air into the room and an outdoor unit that discards the heat. What’s amazing, you ask? This allows the system to provide a wide range of cooling capacities, making sure every corner of your room is cool or adequately heated. A blessing in our temperamental Aussie weather.
Given their energy efficiency and versatility, split-system air conditioners from brands like Mitsubishi Electric, Panasonic, and Fujitsu are popular choices. You can shop for a range of models and brands that suit the cooling and heating needs of a single room to a whole house.
Benefits of a Split System Air Conditioner
Now, if you’re reading this and don’t have a split-system air conditioner, you might wonder why you should consider one. So, let’s head into some benefits.
- Ideal for single-room cooling/heating: Split systems excel in providing efficient cooling and heating for a single room or a specific area. They are far more energy-efficient compared to ducted or central air conditioning.
- Energy-efficient cooling and heating: Speaking of being energy efficient, split system air conditioners offer a greener alternative to traditional air conditioning systems. This is perfect for us Aussies who care about doing our bit for the environment.
- Compatible with smart home technology: Many split-system air conditioners come with Wi-Fi compatibility, allowing you to control the unit with your smartphone. Now that’s what I call smart cooling!
Why Clean and Maintain Your Split System Air Conditioner?
Now, you might think, “Why should I clean it? As long as it’s keeping me cool during those scorching summer days and warm on chilly winter nights, it’s doing its job, right?” Spot on! But keeping your split system air conditioner clean offers you a truckload of benefits.
- Energy efficiency: Our beloved split systems are efficient enough, no doubt about that. But accumulated dust and grime can make their job a bit tougher than it needs to be. A clean air conditioner can cool or heat your room, using less energy. So, by keeping it clean, you’re not just doing good for the environment, but your electricity bill will thank you too!
- Improved air quality: Split system air conditioners do more than just heat and cool your room. They also filter the air. Now, over time, the filter can get clogged with dust, pollen, and other unwanted bits. Regular cleaning keeps your air filter up to scratch, keeping the air in your home fresher and healthier.
- Longer lifespan: Let’s face it, an air conditioner is a bit of an investment, and we’d like it to last as long as possible. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help your split system live a long and productive life. Keeping parts like filters, coils, and fins clean makes sure they all work in harmony, reducing wear and tear, and extending the life of your unit.
- Optimal performance: Yes, your split system air conditioner will still run even if it’s dirty. But, here’s the thing – it won’t be operating at maximum efficiency. Dirt and dust can block vents and impact cooling and heating capacity. By taking a bit of time to give your split system a proper clean, you’ll be helping it do its best work.
- Detect issues early: When you set time aside to clean your air conditioner, you get a chance to give it a good eyeballing. This can be pretty useful, as you might spot potential issues or damage before they become major problems. Early detection means early action, which can save you a packet in the long run.
- Less noise: Have you got a bit of noise coming from your split system and wondering, “What in the wide world is going on?” Well, it could simply be a dirty unit. Excessive dirt can force your air conditioner to work harder, leading to increased noise levels. Regular cleaning might just be the trick to enjoying the sound of silence once more.
Spend a little bit of time cleaning your split system air conditioner. It’ll pay you back with top-notch performance, cleaner air, quieter operation, and a longer lifespan. And not to mention saving a few bucks on the electricity bill and repair costs. Now that’s what we call a win-win.
How To Clean Your Split System Air Conditioner
Check your split system air conditioner instructions for any specific cleaning advice, but here’s a broad idea of what you can do.
- Start with the filters: Turn the unit off before starting. Check manuals for the exact location, but typically, the filters are found when you lift the front cover of the split system.
- Clean or replace the filter: You should clean the filter at least every few months, especially during summer when you might use the air conditioning more. A good wash with warm, soapy water should suffice. Once done, let it dry completely before putting it back.
- Clean the outdoor unit: With a brush attachment, give the outdoor unit a good vacuum. This is where the split system air conditioner discards heat, so you want to make sure it’s not clogged up with dirt.
- Clean the coils and fins: The coils and fins on the outdoor unit can gather dust and dirt over time. Use a soft brush to gently clean these parts.
- Give the unit a wipe-down: When you’re done, give the air conditioner’s exterior and remote control a wipe-down with a damp cloth. Your split system should now be looking.
The Pros of a Professional Clean
While a good DIY clean can do wonders, there’s still a load of nooks and crannies in your split system air conditioner that you cannot get to. That’s where getting a professional air conditioning service comes into its own.
Let’s dive straight into the benefits of professional cleaning for your split system air conditioner.
- Expertise and experience: Good on us for taking a DIY approach, but let’s face it, the pros know their stuff. They’ve got the expertise and experience to give your split system a thorough once-over. From cleaning the filter and checking coolant levels to inspecting the coils and fins, they’ll take care of the lot.
- Efficiency boost: Professional cleaning can make your air conditioner run like a dream. Pros know precisely where and what to clean, allowing ideal airflow and ensuring the cooling and heating mechanics aren’t hampered by built-up grime and dust.
- Early fault detection: When professionals service your air conditioner, they’ll often check for minor issues that can turn into big problems down the track. By spotting potential faults early, professional cleaning can save you a fair bit of cash in the long run, not to mention dodging the inconvenience of unexpected breakdowns.
- Better indoor air quality: Though cleaning the filters yourself regularly is a start, a professional clean makes sure even the most hidden parts of your air conditioner are spotless. This can drastically improve indoor air quality, leading to healthier and cleaner air in your home.
- Prolonged lifespan: Regular professional cleaning can extend the life of your split system. It keeps every part of the unit running smoothly, reducing wear and tear, and ultimately protecting your investment that lasts longer.
- Saves time and effort: As the old saying goes, “time is money.” Handing over the job to a pro can save you time, and let’s be real, a fair bit of elbow grease too.
So, there you go. A yearly professional clean can boost the efficiency of your split system air conditioner, improve your home’s air quality, save you time and energy, and even extend the life of your unit. Sounds like a pretty fair deal, right?
Time to Show Your Split System Some Love
There you have it. A run-down of how to keep your split system air conditioner in fine fettle with some regular cleaning and maintenance. Remember, while you can do a bit yourself, calling in a pro for regular service will give your split system the complete care it deserves.
Whether you’re using a split system for cooling to beat the summer heat or heating to cosy up a room in winter, make sure you show it some love. After all, a happy split system means a comfortable home.
Please note: This information is provided for advice purposes only. Regulations differ from state to state, so please consult your local authorities or an industry professional before proceeding with any work. See Cyber Air Conditioning’s Terms & Conditions here.